An extended essay is one of the most terrible tasks a student can face with. It is a type of a research paper with a deep and clear analysis of the topic. The standard scheme of Introduction, Body, and Conclusion lays in its basis. Our team has gathered the most useful tips from various successful extended essay examples. Now you can learn it and write your own extended essay from scratch.
What is an Extended Essay?
What is an extended essay and what is its definition? You need to note that an extended essay format requires an article of 4000 words. It should be a thesis that must be created under the control of an advisor. An extended essay is one of the most important parts of your IB Diploma. If you succeed, you may get three additional points for your diploma score.
If you have a free topic, you need to identify the area of your main interest. Just think about the subject you would like to discover and describe. You will need to brainstorm a little bit. Consider writing everything that comes to your head and picks up the best ideas.
Extended Essay Examples of Topics
Our experts always recommend getting something that is close to you. It may be related to some of your hobbies or other interests. It should be broad to give you space to explore.
In your extended essay, you may write about WWII, but this topic should be narrowed down to make sense. If you’ve found a great idea, you need to find something particular in it to get more specific and unique. If there is not enough space to explore, just go back brainstorming. Now you are ready to create your research question.
Extended Essay Topics
The amount of good extended essay topics is huge. You need to come up with your question according to your subject and the main theme.
IB Extended Essay Topics by Subjects
Extended Definition Essay Topics
- Peace of mind
- Right to privacy
- Team player
Visual Arts Extended Essay Topics
- Pottery in the Bronze Age
- The Early Pottery of Greece
- The Dominance of Athens
- Hellenistic and Roman Pottery
- Sculpture in Archaic Greece
- Sculpture of the Classical Period
- The Hellenistic Period
- Roman Sculpture
- Greek Painting
- Roman Painting
Computer Science Extended Essay Topics
- Applications, algorithms, and architectures of abundant-data.
- Artificial intelligence and its evolution in modern robots.
- Bio-informatics. Usage of biomedical engineering in contemporary medicine.
- The computer as an assistant in education.
- Databases and data centers for natural-language processing.
- Emerging technologies for modern computer hardware.
- Human vs. computer.
- Large-scale networking.
Get an Advisor
To deal with your extended essay and even to learn how to write an extended essay, you need an advisor. And the best way to make a choice is to get somebody who is well aware of an expert on your topic. It is obvious that a history teacher is not the best match if you are writing an extended definition essay about Math.
It is not the main requirement, but it very useful, especially, if you don’t even realize what an IB extended essay is. Just try to get help from various sources. It is always good to get a helper.
And the sooner you start, the better. With a perfect helper, you can finish your extended essay examples easier and avoid that terrible rush before the deadline. Just do it on your summer holidays or step by step every day.
How to Write an Extended Essay
So it has the same structure as any other academic paper you’ve used to. Let’s review it more detailed.
Extended Essay Outline
Extended essay outline has the same features as any other outline out there. You are writing it for yourself and should make it comfortable to use and to read. Use free structure and writing style. You will build your entire extended essay around it. Consider making separate blocks for each part:
Extended definition essay can reflect the same features other academic essays have. The Introduction should contain the thesis statement and engage the reader. The Body should be divided into three main paragraphs. The Conclusion should restate the main argument. Just use short sentences and bullets.
This part of the task requires your focus to read through sources. The main thing is about creating a separate page with all the sources of quotes used in your extended essay. Don’t put this stage to the very end of the writing process. Just start it with the very first quote you use and then add new ones scrupulously.
Successful extended essay examples have all their parts perfect, and title page is not an exception. You may think that it is just the cover of your essay, but it is an important component, and you should treat it properly.
Try to follow IB extended essay format in every tiniest detail to succeed. It is the face of your extended essay. It should be a separate document with the title of your essay, your name, and IB number.
How to Write an Extended Essay Introduction and Body
It is time to learn how to write extended essay introduction. This part always considers a writer to state his thesis and research question. To reach the highest mark, you need to be clear and convincing. Your topic should be described and presented clearly to the reader.
Don’t forget to mention the importance of the topic. There always should be a reason to investigate this topic. If your topic is not significant and there is no need to study it, your chances to succeed are less than minimal. Do not use too many transitional words.
In the Body section, you need to open the entire topic and present your supporting arguments. Use standard three paragraphs for this type of essay. Include one argument for each paragraph. Use quotes where needed.
Extended Essay Conclusion
Extended essay conclusion deals with the argument development. Don’t present any new subjects or topics. This is your last chance to amaze your reader. You should restate the main thesis, but avoid of simply repeating the argument. Make it uniquely instead to show that you have a complete understanding of your topic and subject.
More About Extended Essay Format
- The main research question of your extended definition essay should be clear and sharp. Don’t mess around and make it focused.
- While stating your thesis don’t forget to mention why the entire topic is significant and worth of studying.
- Use as many sources as possible. There should be primary, secondary, and tertiary information sources to make the entire picture more diverse and convincing.
- Don’t forget to include all sources and quotes into Annotated bibliography page.
- Make sure you understand the entire topic clearly with no doubtful moments.
- Make your essay to flow logically. It should be easy to read. Start with your outline and use it as a constructor for a logical essay. Don’t use any extra information if there is no use. It is not about how many words you can write and fact include.
- Every fact should be scrupulously analyzed before you include it in your essay. No one wants to read simple facts lists. Make it striking and focused instead.
- Avoid tons of passive constructions. Make your Introduction brief and striking.
- The Conclusion is a crucial part of the essay. Don’t just restate your thesis. Avoid making it very similar to the Introduction.
- Don’t forget to proofread and edit your extended essay. This is a very important part. Lots of students ignore its significance. Even a well-written essay can be ruined by a great number of mistakes in grammar and spelling. Use thesaurus where needed and check the entire paper with the computer.
Extended Essay Writing Tips from Our Professional Team
This type of essay is not the easiest one to deal with. But you can make it better if you learn few tips from our experts. There are few moments in your writing process that can make a big difference. You need to note that the balance between cold mind and excitement of your topic is crucial. You can create a paper of 8000 words from the start, but remember that the maximum amount of words for this type of paper is 4000. But it just depends on the topic. Some of them require only 2000 words for a full investigation.
We advise you to start as soon as possible. Always keep in mind that sooner or later you will need to deal with this task. If on the second year you will already have your extended essay done, you will be the happiest guy in the universe, believe us. If you want to start early or the deadline is near, you always can order any type of paper from our experts in the easiest way possible.