How do you write an article review? There are times when students do not need to use articles as the primary sources. Teachers ask them to write a quality review on the scholarly, academic, or scientific article.
They do it to see how well a student can find related articles through conducting an in-depth article research. Students must know how to write an article summary.
An article review is a paper that contains a critical, well-structured assessment of the chosen literature. It is not enough to make up a summary of the article.
It is one of the four steps on the way to excellent article content evaluation. The 4 ways to prepare a meaningful article below.
A student who wants to learn what is a review article should use a database research within article review. The main two elements of article review are a theoretical and objective discussion. It allows learning how to explore and assess information. Sharing personal critical opinions is another factor. Those are both important skills for one’s further career development.
How to Write a Review Article: Main Points
An article review targets the audience which is conversant with the certain field of knowledge. Many students simply include article summary using the language they want, but this piece must follow official English language. It consists of the reflection and evaluation of the main author’s points (arguments).
The process of working on review is described below.
- Summary of the article + classification + in-depth analysis + article critique + contrast
- The author should use related theories, main points, and conduct broad research
- One article is never enough to analyze to prepare a full content
- An article review usually introduces a valuable response to some writer’s piece instead of providing new information on the researched area
- Here you can get a plenty of free article review examples to use in practice
Article Analysis Preparation and Evaluation: Help Yourself to Get Organized
To write a good article review, a student has to get ready by accomplishing important pre-writing stage. The process of writing an article review will go faster if you get ready.
Here is a summary of the main points. Consider them before composing an article review. No matter what the topic is.
- Define the audience of your paper. There is a big difference between your peers and professionals. All human beings perceive information differently.
- Present goals of your researched article. What should you achieve with this article critique.? Do you have all necessary sources?
- Write down the article background information. A writer must identify a background content which would help the readers get to the point. They might want to continue their own research.
- Provide a good reason for choosing a specific article. Explain why the article or specific academic journal is credible. Remember to consider the data of publication/publisher. Can you trust this information?
- Consider analyzing previous research studies before starting to work on your article review content.
- Don’t forget to identify the course. Pay attention to whether your article is empirical or conceptual. Remember that every article review/critique still has the same purpose. Try to substantiate an argument offered by the writer.
HINT! A conceptual article review plays with logical and persuasive reasoning; an empirical information deals with the empirical evidence to support the evidence.
Structure the Article Review
A student should organize an article review in the most appropriate manner. He should write several separate parts. Discuss the particular argument respectively.
How to write a journal article review example? -You may find out how to order brand new article critique online without any obstacles.
How to write a journal article review? If you want to obtain the best results, an article review must include:
- Don’t forget about the hook! It’s an attention-grabbing sentence made of an interesting fact, statistics mentioned by the writer, jokes/anecdote, life story, famous quote, literature quote, article extract, etc. Learn how to write it here.
- Focus on a great article abstract. It must contain a summary of the main points. Combine information from the introductory part and conclusion.
- Write a powerful introduction paragraph. A powerful thesis is a key. This sentence has to reflect the main point of the entire article review.
- Use transition words that make the entire paper logical in your article critique.
- Direct in-text citations from the article in your content to support your writing.
- Indirect citations from the article that include various credible facts, statistics, and other relevant information which needs no proof.
- Objective/subjective critique of the article via the definition of failures in research, opposing views, disparities in the content, and questions left without replies.
- Every article review/critique requires a Results sections. You may call this part of the content Findings or Discussion. Summarize the information and essence of what you feel is important.
It is important to focus on writing an outline.
Stages to Performing a Great Article Review Outline
How to do an article review? (Read here how to write a movie review). One of the most important steps is developing an effective outline. Write down each important piece of information. Stress the sentences or quotes you want to use. Such elements of the content as critical facts and statistics are crucial for your article review. Show the contribution of the author’s research.
Note: Gaps and contradictions add up to the great article review.
Opposing points help to show the objectivity of the writer’s judgments. Review the recent debates around target topic. It is important to write all findings and strengths. However, in your article evaluation, you should mention the weak sides of the content. A reader must make a decision whether the specific text is worth of his attention. Do not be swayed by personal thoughts. Leave them for your reflection essays instead of article reviews. Article reviews are based on objectivism.
Here is an article review’s possible outline:
- Include a pre-title or cover page in a review. If you write a paper in APA style, a title is a must. You should also work on the abstract in APA. It’s easy: just follow the guidelines. Add your name, last name, title, course name, and date.
- Add optional author details to the review. Example: you may include only what’s known; ignore page numbers if the chosen article is not numbered.
- In APA, include a running head and separate page number for the title/cover page.
- Include a summary page called an article abstract. You should not confuse this content with the information provided in the introduction. An introduction names only the main point - thesis. Abstract is all about summarizing all main points/arguments.
- Move to the body paragraphs. Mention your three supporting points to defend the main idea of your article review.
- End up your article review with a powerful conclusion. It starts with the rewritten thesis and switches to listing paper arguments.
Decide on Your Preferred Article Review Example
It is critical to select the topic. Research what people are currently discussing in the society. It could be the upcoming Presidential elections, beauty contest, the death of David Bowie, etc. Choose an article on a sound topic. Check whether it sounds eye-catching.
You can find a lot of journal articles to come up with a good critique or review. You may want to observe a list of article review topics.
- Find a journal article to evaluate the efficiency of remote learning
- Select sources to draw attention to the existing employment problems
- Identify the major difference between Portfolio and Project Management after reading the organized article
- Body size and role modeling
- Dealing with multicultural identity
- Can a same-gender couple grow kids with a healthy psyche?
- Write about the character evolution during the course of novel
- Describe irony in a short story.
- Offer the background of the selected author.
- Article review on Journal piece about the system of evaluation in private colleges: fair or not?
How to Write a Journal Article Review Example
According to the summary of the recent academic surveys held by Harvard and Yale, 80% of all authors work better if they have an example of necessary content in front of them. The Internet allows searching for the best examples. It includes examples of citations and references.
Cite every quote from your article and full bibliography based on the writing style guide.
Here are some examples of the references in APA style:
Eurovision in Ukraine: Controversy over Russian entry. (2017). BBC News. Retrieved
on March 13 from http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39254404
Frolov, V. (2017). Russia Reveals Eurovision 2017 Entry. The Moscow Times. Retrieved
on March 13 from https://themoscowtimes.com/news/russia-reveals-eurovision-2017-
MLA style would look this way:
Goldin, Claudia D., and Frank D. Lewis. “The Economic Cost of the American Civil War:
Estimates and Implications.” Journal of Economic History 35(2), 1975, pp. 299-326.
Chicago style is:
Philip Goldswain, "State Theatre Centre," Architecture Australia 100, no. 2 (2011): 54.
An excellent article review suggests that the writer reads the article several times to develop a complete understanding of the content and its main points. Without it, it is impossible to move to the evaluation stage.
Try to highlight the main ideas when reading the article. It will help to pinpoint all 3-5 articles. The reading may be too large sometimes, so students try to skip this critical step. The only way to write an excellent article review without reading the entire content is to contact professional online writing services.
Here is another article review example every student can use.
Need an Urgent Academic Writing Help?
All you need to do in the end once your content is ready, revise the article review or send it to editing. You may order a full editing or revision of your ready paper plus custom writing from the official academic writing website. It is the best way to ensure the quality of your critical article review.