AP English essay prompts often get student confused, especially, those who haven’t faced this type of format before. For a better understanding of the format and AP English essay prompts you to need to review some valuable AP English essay examples. And our experts have few tips for you to consider too.
What is AP English?
This is a tough course of Language and Literature compositions on the college level. Both of these courses have their own focus. The language course is more about rhetoric and the Literature course about the analysis of literature. And synthesis essay is the thing that unites both of these courses. And the essay should be done in this particular format. That is why you should learn how to deal with AP English essay prompts.
How to prepare for Exam
The exam is always a tough thing to deal with. During this one, you should prepare not just one, but three different essays of this English format. Here are those AP English essay examples:
- Two essays should analyze one particular literature work. It can be a part of a poem, essay or a story.
- Another one should be an answer to free AP English essay prompts. It is based on a piece of literature you should read before the exam.
The exam is divided into few parts and goes into three sections. Each section has various questions on different literature topics. There will be about:
- Modern literature of 20th century will offer from 10 to 20 questions.
- Romanic or Victorian literature will also require from 10 to 20 questions.
- And from 5 to 10 questions will be dedicated to 17th-century Elizabethan literature.
By default, there are no Contemporary literature questions that are beyond the 20th century. Also, Middle English is not very often in AP English exam essay examples. There can be exceptions, but our experts don’t recommend wasting your time on learning and practicing those two periods in literature.
How to Prepare for AP English Literature Essay
Free response essays are easier to deal with for most students than English essay with analysis. But we think that AP English essay examples of various types show us that it is not always true. If you are afraid of both of these essays, you have these simple steps to prepare yourself for the battle:
- You need to learn to analyze and read quickly. Try to practice both on prose and poetry. It is easier to do reading poems and extracts from different periods and styles in literature.
- Always read prompts before reading that particular piece of literature. Do it before answering the question. And don’t forget to do prompt annotations.
- Let those keywords become your triggers. Look for them in questions and read it several times to understand completely.
- Take notes as you read through the literature piece. Compare those notes to your prompt and identify keywords and main themes.
Our writing team recommends practicing frequently.
AP English Essay Examples of Prompts and Questions
Here are few AP English essay examples of prompts.
- Prompt question 1
To answer this question, you need to get a good analysis of imagery, form, and diction that are used by the speaker. Note the symbolism that he uses. To do that you need to learn what symbolism is and what are the methods of its usage in literature.
It is the action of attaching a symbolic meaning to some particular thing, action, definition, etc. In most cases, symbolism is about metaphors and imagery. To describe and define a symbol use evidence and try to make it accurately. Don’t just list all those tools author uses. You need to make a strong well-supported analysis instead.
- Prompt question 2
In this part of your exam, you need to analyze the structure of a literature piece and its contribution to the entire meaning. Your interpretation, description, and explanation should be unique, accurate, and specific. The main deal is the repetition.
It is the main factor that contributes to the meaning of a poem. We recommend not quoting the entire line of the poem in your essay, but writing the number of the line. It is more effective and saves time if you are in a rush.
- Prompt question 3
Some students consider the free response section being the hardest part of the entire English exam. And here you should explain how and why a character from the literature piece contributes to the entire theme.
You are free to choose a novel and a character from it. You should work both with the character and the plot of the story it is engaged in. Please, don’t ignore the note at the end of the prompt. It says that you should not do a summary of the entire plot.
AP English Language and Composition Essay Prompts
AP English language and composition essay prompts are not easier than the Literature ones. You should be prepared to work hard from the start. And the difficulties start from its structure. The entire exam is divided into four parts. Here they are:
An English argument essay is nothing more than just a typical argumentative essay we all love from our high school times. But there are is a special feature you need to consider. The grammar should be perfect, and structure should be totally logical. AP Language and Composition course is a big deal, and your main aim is to show your ability to make good analysis with a perfect structure and grammar indexes.
How to Deal with AP English Language Essay Prompts
You should note that AP English Literature and AP English Language essay prompts are not the same. There is a special essay in the prompt that you need to analyze. The goal of entire course is to teach you how to analyze. And the only way to deal with this exam is to learn to analyze that format. You should start early before the exam to make a good improvement.
The format of the Language and Literature essays is nothing different from any other essay you know.
- It starts with the Introduction where your thesis statement is presented.
- The Body section consists of few paragraphs supporting your main argument.
- The Conclusion is summarizing the entire essay.
AP English Exam Essay Examples of Format
There is just one difference in this prompt, and it lies in this synthesis essay you should write. There are three main components that should be present in your synthesis essay:
- There should be an Argument with a special evidence for support.
- This type of essay gets its focus on multiple perspectives analysis.
- You need to define intentions of the author.
AP English Essay Prompts Advice From Our Professional Team
The main tip our writer can give you is to read constantly and a lot. Some students ignore those tasks of reading books in summer before the exam. And it is totally wrong. Prior reading is a must. Just deal with it. If you still have any questions about this very type of exam or prompt, our specialists are always ready to help you. Just place your order for any type of essay, and it will be done at the highest level.